Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 1997 18:14:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hoek@hwcn.org, Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>, FreeBSD Chat List <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why Not Make tcsh the default shell?

On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Adding docs only helps about 10% of the population - it's a worthwhile

Perhaps the 10% that it _does_ help is more valuable to the
FreeBSD project (as users, that is) than the 90% that it doesn't
help.

> percentage and don't think that this is me saying that I'm against
> adding docs, I'm not.  I'm simply saying that the great majority of
> users don't even read the docs currently provided.  Reading docs takes
> an active step on the user's part, and users don't want to take such
> steps as a general rule - they want the installation process to do
> that and simply ask them questions if a configuration issue comes up.

All I can say is that relating myself,

1) I am one of these infamous "type first, read second" people.

but,

2) When installing FreeBSD, because it was such a _huge_ and
intimidating step (no prev. UNIX experience, little on on any
[D]OS installation), I read every d* piece of literature I could
get my hands on _before_ trying anything.

3) Then, it was possible to read most ports' descriptions to get
an idea for which ones might be commonly used, but the ports list
is now so large and cluttered that I don't think this is
possible, anymore.

> And if it sounds like I'm selling the users short on this, trust me -
> I'm not. :-( I've done front-line tech support for long enough to know
> that people just don't read the floppy docs and, if you're lucky,
> might take a peek at README.TXT before diving in.  I probably answer
> the questions which are documented in full detail in *.TXT more often
> than any of the others.

Yes.  I have heard you say as much before.  <sigh>

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk