Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 22:08:55 EDT
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java IDEs

Thanks:

It was the reports on the list that got me thinking about which IDE was
better.

After some digging, my understanding is that IBM's _free_ IDE works with JDK
1.1.7 (and up?), but may not be up-to-date for 1.2, so I have kind of ruled
that out (for now, anyway).  IBM also expressly states that it's _free_ IDE
has no support, whereas Forte and JBuilder seem to have more support
possibilities.  It seems that the best (only?) reason to go with IBM's IDE
is if you know that you will want to use IBM solutions in the future:
VisualAge Professional, Websphere, etc.

So a good *free* IDE seems to be a choice between JBuilder and Forte.  I
would probably lean more towards Forte but Inprise *stresses* that JBuilder
is built entirely in Java for portability, so I don't see why it couldn't be
ported, without much difficulty, to FreeBSD.

I'm not sure if a native port of an IDE would make any real difference,
though.  JBuilder Enterprise comes with an (EJB) application server, and
running that natively might be a good thing - but I'm not sure that there is
much demand for that (JBuilder Enterprise is over $2,000).

Can you think of any reason why a native IDE would be better than running
under Linux emulation?  (beside it's being a little more speedy, maybe)  If
there is a good reason, I can talk to my friend at Inprise (who has been
there for >8years) and see if a native port would be possible.

John