Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 2000 09:14:41 -0400
From:      James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0-Stable and PCMCIA Networking

I just installed 4.0-RELEASE and then did a build world 4.0-STABLE
(cvsup'd 4/1) on a old laptop (Toshiba Satalilite 110CT).  The OS is
working fine, no ATA problems, too old I guess.  I am using a D-Link
DE-660CT PCMCIA card (NE2000 clone), the card is working fine.  The
problem I am having is with bootup.  After pccardd is loaded /etc/rc
continues on and finished, failing on every piece of networking, before
the PCMCIA card is initialized.  I modified /etc/rc as follows:

 # start up PC-card configuration
 if [ -f /etc/rc.pccard ]; then
         . /etc/rc.pccard
 fi
+
+echo 'sleeping' ; sleep 30
+

This is a crude hack, but is has guarenteed that the NIC is configured
before /etc/rc continues.

1)  Is the a problem due to the age of the laptop?

2)  Am I missing something?

3)  Is there a "proper" way to do this?

Jim
--
The wise man built his network upon U*nx.
    The foolish man built his network upon Windows.