Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:30:00 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
Cc:        f-mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dell i5000e & apm

> Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:04:12 -0400
> From: parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> it has been long tome since i posted here...
>
> is there a soul here who knows if freebsd 4-stable on dell inspiron
> 5000e can survive more than one "stand by/suspend" cycles, measured in
> minutes, w/o hard reboots?
>
> last time i tried, when dell issued an bios-apm update, around may 6
> 2001 w/ then current 4-stable version, the exercise was in futility.

I'm very suspicious that this laptop has a bug in it's BIOS. My wife
has one of these running Windows (not sure the flavor, but it came
installed on the 5000e) and it has the same problem: the machine fails
to resume from suspend quite often. Worse, you often have to pull the
battery before you can get it to re-boot. So I'm not too sure that
this is a FreeBSD issue.

You might check the Dell web-site for possible BIOS upgrades. (I need
to remember to suggest that my wife do this, as well.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)