Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 17:58:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
To:        Ernie Elu <ernie@spooky.eis.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Single Mode cards

On Sat, 27 May 2000, Ernie Elu wrote:

> My telco requires that I use a single mode ATM interface to them, so I
> am trying find out my card oprions with FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE.

You can get a multimode to singlemode converter (Digi) for about a
thousand $US or so :-(  That might be better than buying the SM card.

Can you get your hands on some nearly worthless junk that has a singlemode
port?  If so, another possibility is to desolder its singlemode module and
use it to replace the multimode module on your standard ATM card.  It is
no big deal if you can solder and desolder cleanly. I have done this to
change the interface of one of my ATM switches.

All the best,

-Richard

   Richard Hodges   | Any sufficiently large group of people
  rh@matriplex.com  | is indistinguishable from idiots.
 richard@hodges.org |             - OR -
   rh@source.net    |       "Masses are asses."