Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:41:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
To:        darklogik@pittgoth.com
Cc:        anderson@centtech.com, blackend@FreeBSD.ORG, cjuniet@entreview.com, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/41106: FreeBSD Handbook lacks "Desktop Applications" chapter.

>It sounds impossible with over 7000 ports and only around 100 port
>committers.  Considering feature changes when ports are updated, along
Well, if every port was going to be mongered, then I'd agree.  But
what we're talking about here is a forum for people who use their
ports and like some of those ports a lot to be able to give other
users tips to how to get maximum benefit from them.  I think part of
the strength is that not all ports will be mongered.  This lets other
people know that the port has no love.

And yes, versions do change, so the mongerings might become dated and
broken, and maybe moderators must occassionally call upon the original
authors to "fix it or it gets removed".

I think a broken monger article, even if left in the mix, would be
perceived as a lack of love.  Say I want to try a port out, but he
monger article is old, and worse yet, I follow its instructions and
they don't work.  Well, that tells me that whoever loves it doesn't
love it enough to keep it up to date.

>with the fact that a handful of people just don't use the ports they
>Maintain, just make sure it builds ;)
And this is a great thing and I appreciate them for that, and would not
want them to have to take on anything more.

I'm thinking more that the next time say, Greg Lehey writes a
"trawling the ports collection" article, he might want to spend a
couple minutes submitting a port-monger article (assuming he finds a
port he feels is a real gem).

>Lets not make the FreeBSD committer's jobs more difficult than they
>already are :P
Probably the biggest danger is unwanted email to the mongers to do more
than maintain their article, like fielding all sorts of questions best
answered on the developer's list.

-r