Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 1997 19:31:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@diamond.xtalwind.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat List <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why Not Make tcsh the default shell?

On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Adding docs only helps about 10% of the population - it's a worthwhile
> percentage and don't think that this is me saying that I'm against
> adding docs, I'm not.  I'm simply saying that the great majority of
> users don't even read the docs currently provided.  Reading docs takes
> an active step on the user's part, and users don't want to take such
> steps as a general rule - they want the installation process to do
> that and simply ask them questions if a configuration issue comes up.

More than 50% of the calls we get from new luser that can't install the
Internet software we provide can be solved by reading to them from the
instruction sheet we gave them, or from the disk label.  :(

> And if it sounds like I'm selling the users short on this, trust me -
> I'm not. :-(

Actually you're being much too kind.<G>

Jack O'Neill                    Finger jacko@diamond.xtalwind.net or
jack@xtalwind.net               http://www.xtalwind.net/~jacko/pubpgp.html
#include <std_disclaimers.h>    for my PGP key.
 PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD