Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 22:06:48 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: cdrom boot?

As Greg Lehey wrote:

> I think it's about time that the FreeBSD core team began paying some
> attention to the things which will gain acceptability of FreeBSD when
> compared to other free UNIXes.

If you count me as a member of the core team, then we do. :)  But
please, don't expect us to do all the work ourselves -- we would never
get ready.  I've got the El Torito bootable CD-ROM specification
(though most of it is basically crap to pull the Ancient Obosolete
Program Loader (TM) into the era of CD-ROM booting), and i remember
that i've been discussing the details and my opinions with someone who
seemed to be interested in tackling this down.  Alas, i've never heard
anything back (even though i offered to be the Guinea Pig for tests
including burning a couple of CD-Rs).

I can dump you the entire mail discussion if you're going to make some
code out of this.  But please, don't only discuss it, _do it_!  (Of
course, i gotta dig up this mail, and get the permission of the person
i've been talking with to forward the private mails first.  So i will
only do it if you ensure us that we'll see the first bootable CD-ROM
in say 2 months from you.)

This offer is of course not only to Greg, but to anybody else who is
_seriously_ interested in this.  Bootable CD-ROMs are not a project
that requires yet another 50-soul mailing list first, but it requires
a person who's a) interested, and b) capable of doing this work.  The
latter requires a good understanding of the various low-level PeeCee
BIOS int 0x13 stuff (including reference material like Van Gilluwe),
plus some knowledge in ix86 assembler programming, and preferably also
a CD-R drive.

--
cheers, J"org