Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 22:10:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/18792: date man page has misleading description of -r option

The following reply was made to PR docs/18792; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To: Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, bobj@atlantic.net
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 02:30:31 +0100

 Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:

 > Print the date and time, specified by x _seconds_ from the Epoch?

 Hmm, I don't like the "x".  This manpage was changed relatively recently
 anyway to be less confusing:

 ===
 revision 1.34
 date: 2000/03/07 20:54:17;  author: sheldonh;  state: Exp;  lines: +8 -3
 branches:  1.34.2;
 Correct confusing description of the -r option.

 PR:             17250
 Submitted by:   cjclark@home.com (Crist J. Clark)
 ===

 And I think the current text is ok, to be honest, certainly better than
 it was.  We're going round in circles trying to find something better
 anyway, and I think Sheldon knows what he's doing. :-) Also, there's
 another PR (18880, unassigned) which suggested bringing in a load of
 enhancements to the date(1) manpage from OpenBSD, which might address
 this.  I think the PR should either be closed, or we should change the
 usage() and SYNOPSIS so it can say "... _sec_ seconds ..." since that's
 the only version I'm really happy with.

 --
 Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D