Date:      Wed, 02 Jul 1997 19:04:43 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        hoek@hwcn.org, Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>, FreeBSD Chat List <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why Not Make tcsh the default shell?

> Are you trying to say that all users are equally important to
> FreeBSD?  I don't think that this does justice to your efforts, or
> the efforts of other major FreeBSD contributors.

Essentially, yes, I do feel they're all of _effective_ equal
importance.

If I felt that we as a project were truly capable of judging
"important users" from "unimportant users" with anything close to 100%
accuracy, then I might feel otherwise.  However, I've seen enough
instances where someone came completely out of left field to make an
important contribution that I don't think we can really predict that
accurately enough, at least not to my level of comfort.

Forget also not the "2nd tier" users who create the books and do the
evangelism and otherwise carry out all the functions that many judge
FreeBSD quite harshly for not satisfying.  Where are all the FreeBSD
books?  Where are the magazine articles, ranging from those for the
highly technical to the novice, for the FreeBSD user?  Where are all
the fancy applications?

All of these are fueled by the users who might otherwise be judged
"unworthy" by purely technical standards.  It's a dangerous game
to play, and all the more so because it's larely unnecessary.

					Jordan