Date:      Sat, 08 Apr 2000 03:34:50 -0700
From:      "Donald Burr of Borg - http://www.borg-cube.com/" <dburr@borg-cube.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need help getting USB to work on my laptop

System Details:

Laptop - AMS Roadster 151CT (OEM: Mitac 5033)
	Intel Triton 430TX chipset
	AMD K6-2/333 MHz CPU, 64 MB RAM, 6.0 GB toshiba HD
	BIOS: SystemSoft BIOS v1.20 (this is the latest version available from the
website)

OS: FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE (cvsupped just this evening)

OK, here's the problem:

I'm trying to get USB going on this laptop.  I'd like to be able to plug in
a USB mouse to the thing, as well as using an aue driver-based Ethernet
adapter (specifically, the D-Link DSB650TX) with this machine.

I inserted the usb lines exactly as described in LINT, and
recompiled.  Everything compiled allright.  However, when I reboot the
system, I get this:

uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> irq 0 at device 1.2 on pci0
uhci0: Invalid irq 0
uhci0: Please switch on USB support and switch PNP-OS to 'No' in BIOS

Hrm.  The BIOS does *not* have an "enable/disable USB" option, nor does it
have any options to assign I/O, IRQ, etc.  Neither does my BIOS have an
"enable/disable PnP" option.  (Yes, SystemSoft BIOS sucks.  Sigh.)

On a hunch I popped in a spare laptop hard drive I had lying around, and
installed a fresh 3.4-RELEASE on to it.  Added USB into a kernel config
file and compiled.  This time, I get something even worse: the machine
panic's, does not even boot up!

Needless to say, Windows 98 and Windows 2000 see the USB port fine.  I can
plug in my USB mouse and happily use it, and I can use the USB ethernet
under Win98, with the drivers supplied by D-link.  And when I check the
Device manager thingie, the USB port *does* have an IRQ assigned to it --
IRQ 9.  (Nothing else is using IRQ 9, and there appear to be no other IRQ
conflicts.)  Again, everything works fine in Windows-land.

Anybody have any ideas?  Or am I SOL? :(

Any help gratefully appreciated.  Please reply to me directly, and/or to
freebsd-stable.  Thanks!
--
Donald Burr <dburr@borg-cube.com> Resistance is Futile | FreeBSD: The
WWW: http://www.borg-cube.com/  ICQ: UIN#16997506      | Power to