Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 19:54:02 +0200
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@netmode.ntua.gr>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Subject:   Re: Performance hint for JDK on FreeBSD

I also run the latest AWTTest on jdk1.2.2b10, to compare the two
configurations. I disabled OpenJIT because it adds an additional
overhead since it is written in Java, and I performed about 5 or 6
consecutive executions before the numbers stabilized (I guess the
vm subsystem plays an important part here). The results are:

Greg's font.properties:
Class load took:   379 ms.
AWT startup took:  846 ms.
Frame create took: 29 ms.

Robert's font.properties (with URW fonts):
Class load took:   379 ms.
AWT startup took:  832 ms.
Frame create took: 29 ms.

It seems that the difference is rather negligible (~1%). This is
on a system with XFree86 4.0.1_8. Also note that I don't get any
"font not found" messages any more, in either configuration.

Cheers,
-past