Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 23:31:26 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        opsys@mail.webspan.net, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ill be da*ned Juniper lists FreeBSd as its roots for JUNOS

My hidden microphone recorded Open Systems Networking (opsys@mail.webspan.net)
saying:

% This was MOST cool! Juniper just announced availability of its JUNOS
% routing software and they even to my astonishment were very clear in
% announcing it was using FreeBSD as it's root. Mainly the kernel.
% I for one was EXTREMELY pleased to see this announced on their pages.
% Of course the part about ripping out a significant piece of the networking
% code because it couldnt handle the LARGE ammounts of net traffic juniper
% says its using their junos for COULD have been left out IMO :-)

You'd be surprised the amount of work it takes to make an industrial-
strength router, even from FreeBSD sources.  The L3 switches I work on
during the day are based on VxWorks, which is based on the 4.2 BSD TCP/IP
implementation, but our TCP/IP stack has been hacked on by some very
talented engineers for over 4 years to get to the point where it is now.
Not to mention the fact that switches work in a very different environment
from a "normal" router.  ;^)