Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 18:35:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Shashikant Joshi <sfi@randomc.com>
To:        manar@ivision.co.uk (Manar Hussain)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: large number of file handles open

As you (Manar Hussain) said earlier:
   > We're not planning on ever getting over 250 (and even then only if they're
   > low use sites) but I know of someone who was running 1000 on PC for a short
   > period of time. I'm guessing there must be some people who've hit these
   > type of numbers on this list ??
   >
   > >Sounds interesting, theory and all, but who in their right mind would put
   > >500 virtual servers on one machine? Sounds crazy to me... And 1000 file
   > >handles doesn't seem to be a problem for MOST Unixes.
   >
   > Manar

Does this problem occur only if the files are in the SAME directory, or
within a directory tree. I am hoping and assuming that it should be only if
all the 500/1000 files are in the same directory, since filesystems do have
much more than 500 files.

So, even if you have 500 virtual hosts, and minimum two files per VH, you
don't have to keep them in the same dir. you can have 10 sub-dirs, each with
100 sub-sub-dirs, with files of each VH.

ShashiKant Joshi                                Tel: 770-424-6958
Shift-F1, Inc.                                  Fax: 770-424-4689
Your KEY to Help!                               shashi@shift-f1.com