Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 16:42:34 -0400
From:      "Michael Steinfeld" <mike@freebsdbox.org>
To:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sitting inside, looking out...

----- Original Message -----
From: Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc: Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>; <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>;
<current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 1999 11:39 AM

Clayton writes:
> > >Just for completeness;
> >
> > Yeah, sorry for leaving you gang out , but I didn't want to make
> > it too long, the important thing was to get the three main kinds
> > down, doc committers are pretty much the same story as the other
> > two "limited scope" types.
>
> Oh, absolutely.  But you have to understand that the -doc committers are
> a rough crowd, and if I don't speak up for them every so they often they
> start saying rude things about my parentage.
>
> What's worse is the translation teams -- they say rude things about my
> parentage and I can't even understand what they're saying. . .
>
> [ Hmm, there's a thought -- could someone who speaks Japanese, Spanish,
> or one of the other languages we've got translated please check out the
> different translations of the FAQ, and make sure it doesn't just consist
> of "Nik's mother wears army boots" repeated again and again.  Thanks ]
>
> > >At least, that's my take on it.

> > >How about the FreeBSD Project coming up with the
> > >artwork, and then 'licensing' it to each user group?
> >
> > For it to have significance for the committers, it should be done in
> > such a manner that only the committers get their hands on them.
>
> As Matt points out, this has room to backfire.  You can see the commit
> log now;
>
>   Modified files:
>     CVSROOT              avail
>   Log:
>
>   John Smith is no longer a committer.  He's promised to burn his t-shirt
>   in private, and never mention this again.
>
> Given that (by and large) the committers are just a subset of a much
larger
> developer base, and that we have developers who, for their own reasons,
> have declined to become committers, something that's limited to committers
> is probably not so great.
>
> But for patches that closed PRs, absolutely.
>
> We could maybe have a generic design that's registered as a copyright (or
> a trademark, or whatever) with the project, and the project can license
> this design out to user groups, or individuals, as necessary, and for a
> small fee.
>
> So, if the UK user group wanted to put out 'official UK FreeBSD user
group'
> t-shirts then they can do so, for (say $20 licensing for the design, and
> $1 per t-shirt).  And to pick another example at random, Matt could have
> a "FreeBSD VM God" t-shirt (and richly deserved it is too).
>
> But why stop at t-shirts?  FreeBSD boxer shorts?  Bra and panties?
Anoraks?

> OK, maybe not the last one.

Now the Boxer shorts is a great idea . Just make sure the come in packages
of 5-7 at least.
cause I know if I only had one pair..... ahh, nevermind that is not
important. I don't want to paint any type of picture that my personal
hygiene is compromised by the logo on my boxer shorts.

In any case ..  I'm ready to order !