Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 19:08:42 +1000
From:      Joshua Goodall <joshua@roughtrade.net>
To:        Derek Barrett <derekbarrett@graffiti.net>
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SPREAD clusters

I already maintain a FreeBSD Spread port plus associated
libraries:

ports/net/spread (including perl & java lib)
ports/net/py-spreadmodule (python lib)
ports/net/p5-Spread-Session (OO perl lib)

There's also a protocol decode and Spread-daemon-hacking on my
personal site for it at http://www.roughtrade.net/spread/

You can use this stuff now to build Spread-based application clusters
now, if you like.  Spread gives you reliable, ordered messaging and
process-group membership information, from which can be derived
lock management, shared-state, flailover etc.

It is, however, totally incompatible with Andy Sporner's existing
work.

It suffers from a basic problem; if you want to cluster at kernel
level, doing it with a userland communications daemon is going to
fail (because having the kernel block on userland is Bad :))

I have an architectural direction that will result in a FreeBSD
clustering technique rather different from Andy's, based on the
technologies that Spread also uses, but no interest in
collaborating on it yet.

Joshua

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 04:37:59PM +0800, Derek Barrett wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I picked this up from another mailing list.
>
> There is a toolkit over at Johns Hopkins University called
> SPREAD, which has been implemented to clustered applications such as
> Apache-SSL and Postgres-R.
>
> "Spread is designed to encapsulate the challenging aspects of asynchronous networks and enable the construction of scalable distributed applications, allowing application builders to focus on the differentiating components of their application. "
>
> Maybe this code would work in conjunction with Andy's code, as
> part of the "Phase 2" project.
>
> Derek
>

> --

"Running makeworld fast is important to me.  Anything longer than
   5-10 minutes is too long, since it is not reasonable to check every
     commit using makeworld if it takes longer."
         - Bruce Evans, ultimate guardian of build stability.