Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 23:20:42 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        alfred@FreeBSD.org, <phk@FreeBSD.org>, Maxim Konovalov <maxim@macomnet.ru>, <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>, Adrian Penisoara <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>
Subject:   Re: panic:bremfree with today's current and linux-netscape

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 06:25:17PM +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:
> > I use the same patch.  Locking here is essentially equivalent to calling
> > panic() here (except it gives a more confusing panic message :-).
>
> :-)  That's a bit of an overstatement; my testing didn't catch it.  I

Yes; I forgot to write the clause about it only being equivalent to a
panic if certain options (mainly INVARIANTS) are configured.

> do see that falloc does lock the file descriptor table too, though ---
> I wonder how it ever worked.

INVARIANTS causes a check of an assertion that non-recursive locks
like fd_mtx aren't actually misused recursively.  The check causes more
panics than the misuse since the misuse is rarely fatal.  I may be
missing something since I rarely use INVARIANTS and haven't checked
that it causes the panic deterministically.

Bruce