Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 1997 21:37:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hoek@hwcn.org, Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>, FreeBSD Chat List <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why Not Make tcsh the default shell?

On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Perhaps the 10% that it _does_ help is more valuable to the
> > FreeBSD project (as users, that is) than the 90% that it doesn't
> > help.
>
> But as a group of people who are trying to be professional OS
> "vendors", that is simply not our determination to make.  Like family,
> one does not choose one's customers (as much as one would often like
> to, in both cases).

I will write an additional section for the newuser.html tutorial
on something like "Your Working Environment" and explain how to install
a new shell.  This is probably where this belongs in any case.

The copy of this on my own server gets accessed fairly often and I get
occasional thank-you notes (as well as suggestions that I should explain
"how to set up tcp/ip", which I'm not about to do), so apparently at
least some people read it....and I think it's reduced the number of
questions like "What is the name of the administrative account?", so
it seems to have been worthwhile.

	Annelise