Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 2010 11:14:30 -0500
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Walter <walterk1@earthlink.net>
Cc:        Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: host & dig

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Walter <walterk1@earthlink.net> wrote:

> A previous question to the List on how to get an IP
> address from a host speicific URL yielded the helpful
> fine.  Well, just now I got a chance to try it out on a tiny
> server I have at someone else's house, and on another
> network.
>
> I used telnet to connect to 68.204.xxx.xxx
> it tells me I've connected to xxx.xxx.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com.
> (backwards, right?), then I log in.

No, you have to a connection before you login.  You want to *strongly*
consider using ssh instead of telnet.  You may also be referring the format
of the DNS query result which known as
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_DNS_lookup

> After user/pass entry, it says connected from "user-yyyyyyy.cab"
> (replaced seemingly random name with "yyyyyyy" in case
> it's not transient)
>
> My external IP here is 24.110.nnn.nnn
>
> The issue:
>
> When I use either "host" or "dig" to give me the IP address
> from "user-yyyyyyy.cab", they tell me: 208.68.zzz.zzz
> (Ping gives the same.)
>
> So, I'm still at a loss, I think, to know the originating IP.
> Should a firewall rule blocking 208.68.zzz.zzz actually
> operate against 24.110.nnn.nnn?

I don't understand the question, what is the rule?

>  I'd STILL like to know the true source IP to be able to connect back to
> it.

man sockstat
man netstat

--