Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:28:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joseph Mallett <jmallett@newgold.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Maybe someone here could help...

I'm tempted to ask this on one of the more technical lists, but since I
know it's off topic and not related (directly) to FreeBSD, I'm thinking
the _safest_ place to put it is here?

In any case, I'm head developer, project coordinator, whatever, for xMach
(www.xMach.org) which is based on Mach4 and Lites.

I'm trying to find someone who is knowledgeable of FreeBSD device drivers
or the Virtual Machine. Before today, Mach4 relied on Linux device drivers
if you wanted anything other than a HD driver and an NE2k driver. I
decided it was time they went. They were old, poorly written, etc., Linux
device drivers (which meant they were GPL). As long as they were there,
I'd keep relying on them and fixing them, each time feeling like we were a
little too much GPL. So they're gone. I'm looking for someone who would be
willing to put some FreeBSD device frameworks into the microkernel part of
xMach, so that we can use existing FreeBSD device drivers. If anyone is
willing to help, I'd appriciate an email or to talk to you on IRC
(irc.newgold.net/#xMach).

And if anyone is proficient with the workings of FreeBSD's VM, and the
changes from when it was taken from Mach (all those years ago), I think
it'd be really great (albeit not needed, per se) if someone could
integrate some (or all) of a modern FreeBSD VM into xMach (again, the
microkernel part, based on Mach4).

If nobody wants to help, it'd cool, but I figured I'd at least give it a
shot, as currently I'd like to continue to concentrate on integrating
FFS+SoftDep, and a few other things I feel like I can competently do.

Thanks for your time (and for distracting yourself from the usual business
of -chat),

/joseph

--
Joseph Mallett          jmallett@newgold.net
+1 919 349 2976              www.newgold.net

xMach: The proactively unbloated microkernel
4.4BSD-like operating system.  www.xMach.org