Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 96 23:56 MET
From:      root@deadline.snafu.de (Andreas S. Wetzel)
To:        Daniel Baker <dbaker@cocoa.ops.neosoft.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SB16 & Current

Hi!
---

Daniel Baker <dbaker@cocoa.ops.neosoft.com> writes:

>BTW, do you know any way to play .wav files?

I use the rplay sound server on my -current machine, which seems to work
very fine and seems to have some advantages over nas for my favour.
Rplay recognizes most audio formats (.wav/.au/.aiff/etc..) offers a library
for use in application programs as well as some nice tools which are being
distributed along with rplay. The current version (3.2.0.b5) is available
from ftp.sdsu.edu in /pub/rplay and should compile without problems on
FreeBSD.

On the other hand there is the nas (network audio system) package available
in the ports collection which is also able of playing .wav files over networks
etc. But my favoured candidate stays rplay.

The last thing I know of are some small tools simply called "play" and
"record" which play/record sounds in wav file format directly from/to
/dev/dsp. But I'm sorry I do not have the sources for these tools anymore,
just the binaries.

Regards, mickey

--
          (__)