Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:54:51 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: small update to handbook about debug kernels

--ZuvoxmZMh0nHqhEq

Greg Lehey wrote:

> I think you should look from the viewpoint of the modern kernel:=20
>=20
>   If you are using version 2 or 3 of FreeBSD, you will need to strip
>   the kernel manually...  Note that if you run an a.out kernel with
>   debugging symbols, the whole kernel will be loaded into memory...

Is this better:

    <para>If you are using FreeBSD 3 or earlier, you should make a stripped
      copy of the debug kernel, rather than installing the large debug
      kernel itself:</para>

    <para>This stage isn't necessary, but it is recommended.  (In
      FreeBSD 4 and later releases this step is performed automatically
      at the end of the kernel <command>make</command> process.) =20
      When the kernel has been stripped, either automatically or by
      using the commands above, you may install it as usual by typing

    <para>If you install and boot the debug kernel, without stripping
      it as described above, symbol table lookup time for some programs
      will drastically increase.  Note also that older releases of
      FreeBSD (up to but not including 3.1) used a.out kernels by
      default, which must have their symbol tables permanently resident
      in physical memory.  With the larger symbol table in an unstripped
      debug kernel, this is wasteful.  Recent FreeBSD releases use ELF
      kernels where this is no longer a problem.</para>

? It's a bit longer, but has a bit more detail, I think.

--=20
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D

--ZuvoxmZMh0nHqhEq

--ZuvoxmZMh0nHqhEq--