Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 08:31:38 +0100
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
Cc:        "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, FreeBSD emulation <freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG>, cracauer@FreeBSD.ORG, marcel@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux_base 6.1 may work now

> > > There was a commit yesterday which may have fixed the linux problem.
> > > I don't have an x86 handy to play with -- can you see if it makes
> > > splus et al run with linux_base 6.1?

[my commit]
> > >   Change the default FPU control word so that exceptions for new
> > >   processes are now masked until set by fpsetmask(3).
> > >
> Confirmed for -STABLE with acroread 4.05!

Folks,

I am surprised that this affected the Linux emulator.

Emulators should set the default FPU control word to what the native
kernel would, they should not inherit this value from the one that
FreeBSD assigns to its native processes.

Although FreeBSD-4.0 now defaults to what Linux and Solaris expect,
this should be fixed in the Linux and Solaris emulators. Because the
FreeBSD control word may still be set to the old value by users and/or
a dynamic scheme for FreeBSD processes may be implemented.

Is a person who feels responsible for the svr4 emulator on the CC: list
of this message?

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer/