Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 14:12:58 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   _secure_path and cron

Hiya-

( This is with 2.2.6-RELEASE, BTW. )

I was playing with setting up some really strict permissions on user
accounts:

  > groups breicher
  breicher wheel users

  > ls -ld ~breicher
  drwxrws--T  11 root  breicher  1024 Jun  8 13:52 /home/breicher/

Note that I'm in my own group, but root owns the directory, granting
group access.  Files in the directory are owned by the user.

I'll spare the details of why I was persuing this.

I began to note cron barfing:

  Jun  8 13:20:00 breichert CRON[12376]: _secure_path: cannot stat
  /home/breicher/ .login_conf: Permission denied

The file in question does not exist, therefore _secure_path should
have returned -2, which does not warrent logging via syslog.

I presume that _secure_path instead returned -1, which confuses
me.  If cron, at that point, was running as either root, or me,
there should be no permission errors.

Is this a bug, or am I being too clever for my own good?  What gives?
--
Brian Reichert				reichert@numachi.com
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Current daytime number: (617)-873-4337