Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 19:14:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
To:        "Tom T. Thai" <tomthai@future.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wavelan ISA Card???

> > But no foliage or change in ground elevation?
>
> not much change in ground level.

What about trees??  At these frequencies trees absorb pretty well.
(especialy nearfield - like in your back yard, which would be in line with
the direction of the signal to your office?)

> > Also, what town/city are we talking about?  900 Mhz. is unuseable in many
> > larger cities (especialy in southern Cal.), because of interference from
> > Metricom and lojack like systems.

Do you by any chance of access to a spectrum analyzer? And is someone
on your staff into two-way radio? (Like a ham radio operator? Or would you
need more of a plug and play solution?

The reason I am asking you this, is that it would be nice to find out how
useable the spectrum is, BEFORE you buy equipment for either 900 or 2.4.
If you can get away with 900 (no interference), than it'd be better.

> I see 900mhz phones used and sold here.. so I think it's ok :)  am in
> Minneapolis, MN

Well yes, they are rather low power (like 1mW), but the Wavelans are also
pretty deaf as compared to some of the better point to point stuff on the
market - like the Freewave radios, but they run around $1200/piece.

Btw, additional cost if you do it yourself:

$70-140  X 2 for two 900 MHz. yagis (suggest 13 element - longest you can
get. they are about 6' long). Price depends on ruggedness and
manufacturer.

$0.50/ft. if you buy good RF cable. On one of the installations we've
done, the run was short, so we chopped the 15-20' RG-59 cable that
attaches to the patch antenna and put an N connector on it to connect to a
yagi. Worked well, no additional cable cost.

Also, something to keep in mind, is that the new Wavelans use this screwy
connector that we could only get from NCR/Lucent (another reason for using
the RG-59 cable if the run is short.

Bernie