Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 18:40:19 -0500
From:      Toby Swanson <toby@milkyway.org>
To:        Miguel Sierra <msierra@bvinet.com>
Cc:        "'net@freeBSD.ORG'" <net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: trying to get computer on network

Greetings Miguel,

I have used D-Link network interface cards (NIC) with complete
success.  If you want to re-install FreeBSD try the following.

Boot your computer with a DOS disk and use the
D-Link setup program on the disk that came with the NIC to
configure it.  My NIC is set to interrupt 10 and an I/O address of
300 hex.  You will need to select an unused interrupt and I/O
address.  I think the D-Link setup program will tell you if the
settings you selected are conflicting with other hardware, but I
may be wrong.  Once you have configured the NIC and saved the
settings boot the machine with the FreeBSD boot disk and choose
the visual setup when prompted.  Configure the ed0 adapter with
the same settings you used to configure the NIC.

If you do not want to reinstall FreeBSD you will have to edit the
kernel configuration file and set the ed0 adapter parameters to
match the NIC settings.  The FreeBSD handbook explains how to
do this, section 5 in the version I have.

Toby