Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 22:26:45 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        David Scheidt <rufus@brain.mics.net>
Cc:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: code density vs readability

> > only.)  But my big plus for vim is its paragraph-level operations, eg
> > gqap for formatting a paragraph.  Not a big deal with programs, but a
> > huge help with text and emails, and even handles quoted email
> > correctly and is great at unmangling Outlook-generated mail.  I don't
> > think nvi has that; traditional vi doesn't.
> >

> I'm not convinced this needs to be part of the editor.  Checkout par
> (ports/textproc/par), I think it does everything vim does.

I just looked at the package description file.

    Par is a filter that copies its input to its output, changing all
    white characters (except newlines) to spaces, and reformatting
    each paragraph.  Paragraphs are separated by protected, blank, and
    bodiless lines (see the Terminology section for definitions), and
    optionally delimited by indentation (see the d option in the Options
    section).

So what would you do with par if you only wanted to format one
paragraph in one text, and didn't want to jump through several hoops
to do so?  A common occurrence with latex documents, I assure you,
where you want to format text but not equations, for instance.
Anyway, afaiac there's no question this stuff belongs in the editor.