Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 14:11:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-platforms@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on S/390?

Robert Watson writes:
| On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Ken Bolingbroke wrote:
| > Long shot, probably, but I've got a bunch of virtual machines on an IBM
| > S/390 mainframe, and while we're running SuSE Linux on most of them, on
| > a whim I tossed out the idea of running FreeBSD on one of them, and to
| > my surprise, it was taken seriously.
| >
| > So, has anyone done any work with getting FreeBSD running on a S/390?
| > What can I do to make it happen if there's interest?
|
| fairly serious gap, and would like to remedy this.  However, IBM hasn't
| been dropping S/390 machines and documentation in anyone's laps (at least,
| not mine, and no one else has mentioned it), so the primary facilitators
| would be, as with any new hardware port:
|
| 1) Access to necessary technical documentation and expertise
| 2) Access to hardware

I would suggest people look at
	http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules/
It is "an open source software implementation of the mainframe System/370
and ESA/390".  So the first step would be to port that to FreeBSD and
then you sort of have the hardware.  It is supposed to run the Linux 390
port.  I would think this would be a good starting point and
since the emulator is open source it should be easier to figure out
how the machine works.

Doug A.
Standard disclaimer applies