Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:40:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>, "Schroeder, Aaron" <Aaron.Schroeder@qg.com>, <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4 Built From Ports Dumps Core

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> The 64-bit slots are directly on the main pci bus; the 32-bit slots
> are behind a dec pci-pci bridge.    If your video board is in a 64-bit
> slot, it should appear on bus 0.

And aren't 64 bit slots physically longer than the others?  In my miata,
if it is laying on it's side, the rear of the box is towards me, the 64
bit slot is on the far left. (are there two? I forget)

As for your questions of X server, I have a few suggestions.  1) unless
you really need some feature of Xv4, I'd run a v3 server - they 'just
work' with my matrox cards.  When I was playing with v4 servers I had to
revert to 4.1.0 to get anything to work, and even then, I had to play
around with X -configure a bunch inbetween machine-checks - I got enough
of a config file that I could hand-edit it into working.  Specifically, I
had to disable the 'record' 'xtrap' 'dri' and 'pex5' modules in my config
file, and I had to compile the server with the 'stubbed-out' version of
the int10 stuff -- there is some #define somewhere that lets you swap
no-op code in for the normal int10 module.

Once I had done all these things, I had a running server.  Big pain in the
butt, and I _still_ got an occaional machine-check that I never had the
patience to track down...  Perhaps it's just the matrox driver that has
problems.  I remember seeing someone with an elsa gloria card that X
worked just fine for...  I'm sure there are others.  I have a millenium II
card...

As for alpha being a bit less user-friendly, well yes that is true.  I
think it's mostly that there are less of us using alpha boxes, so many
little annoying things take a long time to get resolved.

Hang in there - you'll have fun :).  And keep the questions comming if you
have them - dont be shy.

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.