Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 18:20:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Tom T. Thai" <tomthai@future.net>
To:        Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wavelan ISA Card???

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Bernie Doehner wrote:

> > > But no foliage or change in ground elevation?
> >
> > not much change in ground level.
>
> What about trees??  At these frequencies trees absorb pretty well.
> (especialy nearfield - like in your back yard, which would be in line with
> the direction of the signal to your office?)

it's a city so not may tries.. some in the streets along the sidewalks.

> > > Also, what town/city are we talking about?  900 Mhz. is unuseable in many
> > > larger cities (especialy in southern Cal.), because of interference from
> > > Metricom and lojack like systems.
>
> Do you by any chance of access to a spectrum analyzer? And is someone
> on your staff into two-way radio? (Like a ham radio operator? Or would you
> need more of a plug and play solution?

No one like that here, but if you give me some references, I'll try it
myself :)  PnP is fine, but I like to learn too.  Can I lease or buy the
spectrum analyzer?

> The reason I am asking you this, is that it would be nice to find out how
> useable the spectrum is, BEFORE you buy equipment for either 900 or 2.4.
> If you can get away with 900 (no interference), than it'd be better.

I read up on the BreezeCom wireless lans hardware, sounds pretty cool.  I
think it's 2.4 hoping spectrum if I remember right.

> > I see 900mhz phones used and sold here.. so I think it's ok :)  am in
> > Minneapolis, MN
>
> Well yes, they are rather low power (like 1mW), but the Wavelans are also
> pretty deaf as compared to some of the better point to point stuff on the
> market - like the Freewave radios, but they run around $1200/piece.
>
> Btw, additional cost if you do it yourself:
>
> $70-140  X 2 for two 900 MHz. yagis (suggest 13 element - longest you can
> get. they are about 6' long). Price depends on ruggedness and
> manufacturer.
>
> $0.50/ft. if you buy good RF cable. On one of the installations we've
> done, the run was short, so we chopped the 15-20' RG-59 cable that
> attaches to the patch antenna and put an N connector on it to connect to a
> yagi. Worked well, no additional cable cost.
>
> Also, something to keep in mind, is that the new Wavelans use this screwy
> connector that we could only get from NCR/Lucent (another reason for using
> the RG-59 cable if the run is short.

hmm..

Thomas T. Thai          Infomedia Interactive Communications
tom@iic.net             TEL 612.376.9090 * FAX 612.376.9087