Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 21:46:55 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        David Scheidt <rufus@brain.mics.net>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: code density vs readability

| > For programs, I like its syntax highlighting.  I don't know whether
| > nvi has that.
|
| I hope not...

No offense to David.....

<rant>
Why do some people, especially advanced programmers, hate this feature
so much?  Isn't it great for catching misspellings before compiling, and
for helping the eye locate a target?  It also seems good for helping the
mind quickly understand the structure of the code.  It simply includes
more valuable information.  I realize it can be overdone, but since you
can configure it any way you like, why is it so bad?  Why does
everything that makes programming easier get labeled a 'crutch' at some
point?  I mean, LINT could be called a remedy for poor programming
skills in the first place, but many accomplished programmers us it,
correct?  </rant>

| > And I think vim does handle multiple buffers in console mode.  I
| > haven't investigated it, when doing "serious" work I'm always running
| > X and I just find it easier to open two xterms...
|
| vim does do multiple buffers.

How?  Does it do split screens?  I once spent the better part of an hour
trying to figure this out.  That either means poor documentation, or I
didn't have the foggiest where to find it in all of those linked
documentation menus.

jm
--
My other computer is your windows box.