Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 12:26:28 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Small <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Command-line i/f (Re: PicoBSD)

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

> I read that ye had the desire/wish to make the router version of picoBSD
> akin in use to Cisco's IOS/Shiva's SpiderSoftware?
> As far as I am concerned, I like that idea and would gladly contribute my
> opinions and wishes for such an interface, might be a program/shell that
> will be loaded at boottime to give the user such an interface...

Perhaps this is a dead end, perhaps not.. but now I'm experimenting with
Forth (in fact, its variant: /usr/ports/lang/atlast) - I need this in some
other project as well, and I thought it would be a nice approach.

It's very small, fast, robust, it has very well defined memory constraints
and consumption, and what's important it allows for embedding in your
program. Now, there is a huge number of other script languages (python,
tcl, Bourne shell, to name a few), some of them are embeddable, but all of
them are much bigger and much more hungry for resources...

At the moment it's just an idea, I haven't written any code yet, just
playing with it. I'm sure those of you, white-bearded hackers, who have
more experience in this area, will have some opinions on this... :-)

> Also I am testing the bootdisks too and unfortunately they were they older
> versions with the DEVFS stuff in it and paniced on two dell systems, but
> ran fine on my system here... But that's not really helpful =)

I hope you've got the new (0.41) version? The version with DEVFS (0.4) can
survive if you don't use filesystem too much (if you edit a small file,
you're fine, but do an 'ls -lR /' and it will die on you).

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"
 Network in Poland     | |TT~~~| |    http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/