Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 14:12:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alex Boisvert <alex@teel.info-noire.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Ruslan Shevchenko <Ruslan@Shevchenko.kiev.ua>, wghhicks@ix.netcom.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Could FreeBSD be a viable platform for large SQL/SAP/etc enterprise applications?

> >   May be Java is a bad language.  (Windows, for example --- bad OS, but I
> > spend most of my time
> >    sitting on WindowsNT, becouse Windows have support
> >     from commercical vendors, becouse exists rapid development
> >     tools, and users sitting on Windows,  not becouse it fools,
>
> ????  In any case, almost all of my development is done on Unix, using
> the standard JDK.  It's a couple hundred thousands lines of Java, using
> CORBA and it works fine under FreeBSD 'mostly'.  There are some bugs in
> the 1.1 K.White port, but otherwise it works well.  At least as well or
> better than the 'commercial development tools', which for the most part
> are a crock for x-platform development.

I agree with you that the JDK 1.1 (kwhite) on FreeBSD is a fine working
tool.  I use it for _commercial_ product development and must say that I'm
more productive under FreeBSD than Windows.  (Altough we mostly _deploy_
on Windows :-(

We chose BISS-AWT toolkit as our graphical front-end:  it's *fast* and
really cross-platform.  It easily beats Sun's AWT or the other BWT product
(I don't recall the exact compagny name).

Also, my personal productivity has increased about 100% compared to C/C++
development.

Regards,
Alex.

---