Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 07:30:42 +0100
From:      "L. Jankok" <lj@2u2.nu>
To:        "'Jonathon McKitrick'" <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD's momentum and future prospects

I think the BSD's are missing one important aspect;
A HCL with complete configurations from the big players
like IBM, Dell and Compaq.
Big costumers feel more confident to use for instance
Suse Linux on their new bought proliants because Compaq
tells them that their hardware is certified for that
particulair distribution. Another point is support;
RedHat and Suse are big names and they sell support
for their Linux server distribution..
I was recently involved in a situation were a Solaris
server park had to be replaced by an open source
alternative. The customer wanted a support model with
the best approximation to SUN's and found that in
the Suse Linux certified Compaq machines with a full
year of support. The customers told me that he wanted
to use OpenBSD in his DMZ and FreeBSD for his Web and
Proxy Servers but that he just couldn't sell this to
the board because they wanted to see certified hardware
(and not a HCL with hardware parts) and full support.

Cheers,

Lucio Jankok