Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 03:02:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        John Dowdal <jdowdal@destiny.erols.com>
Cc:        David Kott <dakott@home.com>, High Voltage <zapper@idsmail.com>, FreeBSD-Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: @Home Connect.

> Both times I set up cable modems on unix, they had a single IP.  The power
> cycle rule applied for the single-IP config on the old (big) motorola, and
> the new (small) motorola on Comcast cable system in Baltimore County, MD,
> and to the system in Norfolk VA.
>
> In both cases, we set up a BSD machine with two ethernet cards.  One
> connected to teh cable modem directly, the other connected to the LAN (LAN
> side is 100mbit too).  The unix machine took on the real IP, and the
> 100mbit network was configured with NATD (illegally for @home, but who
> cares).

According to my spec sheet on the Motorola modems, this "feature" is
en/disabled during the startup protocol between the modem & the cable
router when you power up the modem.  Watch the lights some time -- they
will (normally, unless your provider uses custom firmware in the modem) do
a quick TD/RD blinky right when the "CABLE" light on the modem comes on.
One of my sites has one allowed ethernet address, while another has
multiple..  Same modem model, just different setup parameters at the host
end.

...daz how it wurks in da Akron, OH RoadRunner world...

--mike