Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 06:01:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        new-bus@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New version of the newbus draft

"Newbus is the new bus abstraction layer architecture which saw its
introduction in FreeBSD 4.0."

Actually it came in with the Alpha port IIRC.  Check 3.4.

"Newbus is the new bus..." sounds clunky, as does "abstraction layer
architecture".  If a sentence costs you more than $1.50 then you're using
too many 50c words.  :)

- Suggest using a bullet list for enumeration of multiple items. (p1s3)

- The Alpha doesn't have 'nexus' (p3s1)

- A device is really the sum of its methods.  A device is a device; a bus
  is a device with bus methods.  I'm not sure what you'd call a 'bridge'
  in newbus terms. (p4s1)

- 'map its resources' and the implications of the text following aren't
  quite clear.  Resources are reserved and allocated (which isn't very
  good either since we really want to reserve them, then activate them,
  but that distinction is yet implemented in a coherent manner.)  In
  addition it is implied that the behavior of resource methods is -always-
  to call the parent when that isn't always the case.  Explaining default
  methods and the goal of resource allocation/reservation/foo would be a
  better focus for this paragraph since you could demonstrate the action
  that each layer takes on resource allocation/reservation/foo.  The
  existing example is a pretty good start though.

- Newbus doesn't really have anything to do with bus_space at this
  point.  We wish they were more intimate but they are really
  separate.  Same thing with bus_dma.

- Newbus doesn't 'allows for definitions of interface methods...'; thats
  the entire ball of wax.  bus_if.m and device_if.m provide the basic
  structure to implement a hierarchy of devices.  This functionality is
  implicit.  A more top down approach that brings the method definitions
  and rules of hierarchy and inheritance into focus early in the document
  would be good.

Anyhow, you've got a good start.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |