Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 2003 17:09:39 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: pca driver being retired.

On Friday 15 August 2003 16:45, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Mark Murray wrote:
> > I see considerable scope for an infrastructure that would allow drivers
> > to be ports. _Easily_.
>
> This is a good idea.
>
> I think if this infrastructure already existed, then many people
> would make their drivers into ports.  Until then, though, the
> drivers will likely have to be part of the kernel.
>
> Would it be a useful exercise for the people who want drivers to
> be ports instead of being in the kernel to provide this facility
> for driver writers to use?

See comms/ltmdm, x11/nvidia-driver, audio/aureal-kmod, comms/mwavem etc..

They already build fine.. The problem I find is that when you update your
kernel the port doesn't get rebuilt, so reasonably often this results in your
machine going *boom* when the port loads its module.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5