Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 17:23:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A GUI administration tool for FreeBSD

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Drew Baxter wrote:

> A web solution would be just ducky too.. Wonder if you could run it under
> the XR6.3 Broadway plugin or not..

I believe there already is a web-based admin thingy in the ports
collection under sysutils/webmin.  I don't particularly like the idea of
using the web to administrate a system for a couple of reasons, though,
and in my opinion, an X11 application is the best way to do it if
we're looking to make it easy for newbies.
(Well, actually, I like text console tools too, but doing it with a GUI
is more flexible and more "friendly" in many cases.)

My basic goals at this point are:
1) Provide a unified interface for performing common configuration and
   administraiton tasks.  Try to eliminate the need to hunt down the
   configuration file necessary to change something, then hunt down the
   documentation for that config file so you know what format your changes
   should be in, etc.
2) Have it easily usable for folks new to FreeBSD, link it in with online
   help (manpages, calling up the handbook, etc. in a web browser, etc.)

Now if we just had a reliable way to get XFree86 up and running
more-or-less automatically... :)

--
Brian Buchanan                                   brian@smarter.than.nu
                                                 brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU