Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 22:19:28 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
Cc:        Paul Southworth <pauls@locust.etext.org>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crashes with 6x86L-P200+

>Sounds like the usual problem with those CPUs... Heat.  You need to keep
>them cool, because they generate a *LOT* of heat.  I have a *good* (ie. PC
[...]
>something.  (The regulator probably has a BARELY adequate heatsink for
>the -200 chip...  It sucks a LOT of current, which might make the extra
>fan a really good idea.)

All the Cyrix chips I've seen come with a Cyrix-approved heat sink/fan
combo.  Cyrix got some flak for sending out chips that would fail with
no-name heat sinks and fans.  They are using large heat sinks with
fans that spin faster than "normal" cheapo fans.  They do this so they
can ship out chips that run hotter at the higher speeds, by
guaranteeing the provided heat sink/fan will keep the chip from
burning up.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net