Date:      Mon, 05 Aug 2002 13:18:24 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
Cc:        sziszi@bsd.hu, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/41106: FreeBSD Handbook lacks "Desktop Applications" chapter.

Ross Lippert wrote:

>>The other such outlet is the FreeBSD Diary.
>>(http://www.freebsddiary.org/). It has an astonishing number of articles
>>
> I didn't know the diary had expanded.  I'll have to check it out.  Maybe
> you are right then and a forum already exists of this sort.

What I am envisioning is basically an area where users can go, and read the
"good stuff" on a port, maybe even see how many "remarks" or whatever have been
written for a port - which means multiple docs per port if need be.  However, I
think this should be a reference for detailed description of the port, how it
was used (or tweaked to use for something) and maybe why it's a neat port.  As
far as "dvd playing does not work" stuff goes, that's ok as long as it's factual
and says something more like "I could not get dvd playback to work with version
x, on my system.  If you know how to do this, please submit a port-remark." and
not jsut port bashing (which doesn't help anyone). That would be up to the
port-monger committer to keep an eye out for, and make tweaks as needed.

However, I don't think it should be a forum.  Forums are like email lists, and
they tend to have threads of people discussing things to the minute detail,
often with little example.  Note this thread. :)

Eric