Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 18:03:06 +1100 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        aussie-isp@aussie.net
Subject:   tagging IP packets travelling over internal network

Hi all,

(sent to both freebsd-isp, a FreeBSD ISP mailing list, and aussie-isp, a
generic Australian ISP mailing list)

I'm just about to move to a teired pricing system which offers different
rates for server (proxy/news/email), national direct, and international
direct, which will be calculated based on where the packet entered my
network - eg if it comes via Telstra then it's considered national.

The problem with this is that I have to account at 4 different inbound
points, and something central has to collect this data from the individual
points and apply them to a single account.

(Accurate) accounting can't be done from a single point because some
traffic will enter and leave via the same router, plus it's difficult to
assume what is national and international based on the source alone.

I've been thinking about doing something a bit different - accounting on
the OUTBOUND side - if each packet is given an extra tag identifying which
link it came in through. That way all accounting is done on the outbound
side, with some sort of functionality to read/count and strip tags before
passing them over the interface to the customer.

Can arbitrary or experimental IP options be added to an IP packet? The
tags would only be carried over the internal network and not passed on to
any peers.

I'm not too crash hot at coding otherwise I would probably have a go at
hacking something together.

(FreeBSD specific) ... perhaps the core IPFW code could be modified to
allow addition (inbound) and removal (outbound) of tags?

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                              http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/
Sensation Internet Services                   http://info.sensation.net.au/