Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 2015 12:30:24 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Luis P. Mendes" <luislupe@gmx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kbdmux disabled --> no useable keyboard?!

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 23:23:56 +0000, Luis P. Mendes wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>   I'm setting up a multiseat workstation, where two users, with two
>   monitors, two keyboards, two mice and two X sessions can be
>   connected to the same computer at the same time.
>
>   For this to happen, one of the things that is necessary to do is to
>   disable kbdmux in order for the two keyboards to be considered
>   independent.
>
>   In the past, I've accomplished this with syscon, which had other
>   problems.  But now with vt, when I disable kbdmux either on
>   /boot/device.hints or in /boot/loader.conf with:
>     hint.kbdmux.0.disabled="1"
>
>   No keys are recognized by the OS, although dmesg seems to know about
>   the existence of the USB keyboard.

You need to manually transfer the control of one keyboard to the
other - from the "active" to the "inactive" one (to become the
"active" one). Use the kbdcontrol program to do this, "man kbdcontrol"
has more information about the -k option.

This of course only works when kbdmux is disabled.

>   So, I'm stuck on this.  Is this an intended feature of kbdmux?

Yes. When using kbdmux, both keyboards operate "in parallel", so
you can use which ever you want, even key combinations across two
keyboards are possible, for example, press Alt on AT keyboard,
PF1 on USB keyboard - Alt+PF1! :-)

> What
>   should I do to be able to use two keyboards (in X) independently,
>   and still be able to use one in the console.

"Fortunately", X has its own automagic input device detection, which
will probably shoot you in the foot. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany