Date:      Tue, 01 Nov 2005 12:49:31 +1300
From:      Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot install 6.0-RC1 on Promise SX4060 (DANGER WILL ROBINSON)

Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to install 6.0-RC1 on a system with a Promise SX4060
> (PDC20621) + 4 Maxtor ATA-133 drives (6E040L0). The mobo is a Tyan
> Thunder LE (S2510).
>
> The card appears to be detected ok (tho the exact text rushes past
> before I can read it completely), but the drive probing fails completely:
>
> ad4 : FAILURE - SET FEATURES TRANSFER MODE timed out.
> ad4 : FAILURE - SET FEATURES RCACHE timed out.
> ad4 : FAILURE - SET FEATURES WCACHE timed out.
> ad4 : FAILURE - SET FEATURES SET_MULTI.
> ad4 : FAILURE - READ timed out (LBA = 80293185)
> ad4 : FAILURE - READ retrying (0 retries left) LBA = 0
> ..
> ad4 : req = 0xc3b78960 SET FEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE semaphore timeout
> !!DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!
> ..
> ..
> (hand copied as I don't have a serial console)

Some more info - running the PCI bus at 33Mhz (default is 66Mhz) makes
no difference.

By way of a further hardware check, tried out a 3Ware 7506 (destined for
another machine), and it works perfectly (hmmm - maybe should have
bought two of those...).

So ... err.. keep those suggestions coming (should I post this to
-current instead???)

Cheers

Mark