Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 18:58:47 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anybody working on devd?

In message <Pine.NEB.3.96L.1011128124824.40174A-100000@fledge.watson.org>, Robert
Watson writes:

>I'm not opposed to a 'first stab', but in the case of picobsd, I suspect
>0/0 0600 would be just fine.  I think that this "conservative policy"
>viewpoint actually makes a fair amount of sense: we start up init with a
>high level of privilege, and start up devices protected tightly, but
>accessible via privilege (which init has).

Well, we use the same as we had in MAKEDEV for "conservative".

>  What I would like to avoid is
>kernel code knowing much about non-0 uids and gids.

I agree this is not nice, but given the rule-system I proposed this would
be a non-issue.

>When dealing with NFS
>and multiple platforms, you almost immediately run into different use of
>those other uids and gids.

Well, in a devfs context this is a non-issue since devices are local
in NFS.

>In general, with the exception of device owner
>initialization, the kernel knows nothing about uids except for 0 and
>VNONVAL.  In the device code, we find a lot of #define's that teach device
>drivers things that are usually defined in the password file.

Please read my email about the proposal for rules, that would move
this back to the password file.

>Regarding the multiple instantiation--it does raise an interesting
>question.  Should the protections be on the device "objects" or on the
>file system representations?

Nope, it is on the file system representation.  No doubt about that
from the author of jail.