Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/18520: kbdcontrol manpage incomplete

The following reply was made to PR docs/18520; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To: n_hibma@freebsd.org
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 19:24:15 +0100

 n_hibma@freebsd.org wrote:

 > 	The manpage for kbdcontrol is incomplete. It does not mention that
 > some commands only apply to /dev/console or the virtual terminals. It would
 > be useful to see an example along the lines of
 >
 > 	kbdcontrol -k /dev/ukbd0 < /dev/console
 >
 > to show how to change the keyboard when in an xterm (or when using an automatic
 > changer line in usbd.conf).

 What sort of text do you think is needed?  I don't really know enough
 about USB and stuff to see exactly what you mean.  I assume that command
 will mean that the USB keyboard acts as the console keyboard from that
 point forward?  How do you change it back?

 Anyway, how about:

         To change the default console keyboard to the first USB keyboard
         (see ukbd(4)) when not working on the console or a virtual
         terminal, use this command:

 		kbdcontrol -k /dev/ukbd0 < /dev/console

 The ukbd(4) manpage seems to have a bit more about this, so I explicitly
 added a reference to it there rather than expecting people to find it in
 the SEE ALSO bit.

 --
 Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D