Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:28:48 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "Fred Clift" <fclift@verio.net>, "Andrew Gallatin" <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        "Schroeder, Aaron" <Aaron.Schroeder@qg.com>, <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4 Built From Ports Dumps Core

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Clift" <fclift@verio.net>
To: "Andrew Gallatin" <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc: "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>; "Schroeder, Aaron"
<Aaron.Schroeder@qg.com>; <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 8:40 AM

> On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
>
> > The 64-bit slots are directly on the main pci bus; the 32-bit slots
> > are behind a dec pci-pci bridge.    If your video board is in a
64-bit
> > slot, it should appear on bus 0.
>
> And aren't 64 bit slots physically longer than the others?  In my
miata,
> if it is laying on it's side, the rear of the box is towards me, the
64
> bit slot is on the far left. (are there two? I forget)

You are correct.  They are on the left and there are two.  This is what
I saw when I opened my box.

> As for your questions of X server, I have a few suggestions.  1)
unless
> you really need some feature of Xv4, I'd run a v3 server - they 'just
> work' with my matrox cards.  When I was playing with v4 servers I had
> revert to 4.1.0 to get anything to work, and even then, I had to play
> around with X -configure a bunch inbetween machine-checks - I got
enough
> of a config file that I could hand-edit it into working.
Specifically, I
> had to disable the 'record' 'xtrap' 'dri' and 'pex5' modules in my
config
> file, and I had to compile the server with the 'stubbed-out' version
of
> the int10 stuff -- there is some #define somewhere that lets you swap
> no-op code in for the normal int10 module.

Thanks for the tip.  If my latest kernel build and attempts to run
XFree86-4 don't work, I'll try version 3.

> Once I had done all these things, I had a running server.  Big pain in
the
> butt, and I _still_ got an occaional machine-check that I never had
the
> patience to track down...  Perhaps it's just the matrox driver that
has
> problems.  I remember seeing someone with an elsa gloria card that X
> worked just fine for...  I'm sure there are others.  I have a
millenium II
> card...

I have the same card.

> As for alpha being a bit less user-friendly, well yes that is true.  I
> think it's mostly that there are less of us using alpha boxes, so many
> little annoying things take a long time to get resolved.

Well that's all right.  What do you expect for free?  :)  I'm not a
programmer but I may be able to contribute with testing and writing some
docs.

> Hang in there - you'll have fun :).  And keep the questions comming if
you
> have them - dont be shy.

Thank you.

Drew