Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 2000 12:12:15 -0400
From:      Carroll Kong <damascus@eden.rutgers.edu>
To:        Michel TALON <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FIXED -->  Thanks! Re: ep0 eeprom failed to come ready...

>At 11:11 AM 4/3/00 +0200, you wrote:
>Moral of the story. It is plain untrue that Windows sees all hardware in
>a straightfoward way. One may need to fiddle very much with BIOS settings
>and it is very long and guesswork, involving a lot of reboots. It is much
>easier to use tools such as pnpdump (linux) or pnpinfo (freebsd) and
>issue the proper configuration commands. Having an automatic procedure is
>nice, if it works. But there is no insurance that it will work even under
>Windows and with the manufacturer provided drivers.
>--
>
>Michel TALON

This is why I refuse to buy motherboards that do not allow pci slot irq
level control.  Asus boards tend to do this well, so I can usually force
everything in the proper irq setting and / or reserve irqs and dmas for non
pnp devices.  Well, it sounded like you had a few pnp isa nics, I only
worked with the sound blaster awe 32 pnp.  I usually turn off Pnp OS in the
Bios.  I multiboot windows 95, 98, windows NT, linux, and FreeBSD.  My pnp
devices work fine, nothing every barfs.

I have seen people getting motherboards without pci slot irq level control
and they got to do the "magic shuffle" like what you did.  It is
unfortunate, but I think most "big name vendors" do not supply motherboards
with that kind of feature.  Ah well.  Trouble for them, fine for my own
machine.

Actually this confuses me a bit.  So, if I say pnp os no (which is what has
been so successful for me for a while), FreeBSD's kernel will still use the
bios to figure out how to dish out what resources?  Will it take into
consideration what my bios said?  So far it seems to (my pci slot irq level
control settings).

-Carroll Kong