Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 07:47:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Mel Lester Jr." <meljr@connet80.com>
To:        Rick Gray <rickg@nwpros.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anon FTP

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Rick Gray wrote:

> My permissions are as follows:
>
> usr/ftp               owned by root and unwritable
> usr/ftp/bin         owned by root and chmod 555--ls is chmod 111
> usr/ftp/etc         owned by root and chmod 555--passwd and group are chmod 444
> usr/ftp/pub         owned by ftp and chmod 777
>
> These should be correct according to the man pages. My passwd file contains
> ftp:*:14:5:Anonymous FTP Admin:/usr/FTP:/bin/csh. See anything I'm doing wrong?

Yes, if the home directory for ftp is /usr/ftp, your entry in /etc/passwd
                                vvv
ftp:*:14:5:Anonymous FTP Admin:/usr/ftp:/bin/csh

-mel

| Mel Lester Jr.           meljr@ConNet80.com - Operations Manager ConNet80 |
|       ConNet80 - PDX's Fast Lane on the Information SuperHighway          |
| Connect with ConNet80, it pays!            http://www.ConNet80.com/~meljr |