Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:41:23 -0600
From:      Josh Tolbert <hemi@puresimplicity.net>
To:        rob copsey <robc@execpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: *56 - versions

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:22:47PM -0500, rob copsey wrote:
> Hello,
> I've recently come across a *56 processor that starts with pc
> rather than ev. Can I use this in my Miata MX5? Is this a version
> of the architecture with cache that more closly resembles that of
> an x86 for use with windoze?
> please help
> -RC
> --

Hi Rob,

I haven't seen any responses yet, so I'm going to take a stab at
it. The answer is "no, PC56 CPUs won't work in a PWS." The PC56
CPUs were touted as "inexpensive Alphas"  and were only used in one
motherboard (that I know of), the PC164SX. They were cheaper than
EV56 CPUs, but didn't perform as well.

I'm pulling all of this from memory, so feel free to call me nasty
names if I'm wrong. :)

Thanks,
Josh