Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 08:38:59 +0800 (TSD)
From:      "Victor A. Sudakov" <vas@vas.tomsk.su>
To:        sderdau@xtdl.com (Stephen A. Derdau)
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Internet providers discouraging customers from unix

Stephen A. Derdau wrote:
> O yes os/2 as well......What diffrence should it make to this providers.
> As long as their running tcp/ip any os should be acceptable?

I can already see the future. Imagine the "Microsoft Internet (R)" and
"TCP/IP Designed for Windows 95 (R)". And ISPs will have to be licensed and
certified by Microsoft. We shall be the extinct minority with our unices and
shall have to support MIP (R) - Microsoft Internet Protocol.

Do you think I am kidding? Not quite. Perhaps you know that the standard
encoding for cyrillic on the Internet is koi8-r (rfc1489). However, the
majority of web pages are in cp1251 - Windows cyrillic encoding ONLY.

A couple of weeks ago I had to install Windows cp1251 cyrillic fonts in my X
to surf the Russian web.

> Who wants to see a one OS world anyways.  :)  .

Everybody knows the name of this person.

--
Victor Sudakov
http://www.tomsk.su/r/persons/vas.htm